Miss Jessie’s Curly Meringue Review
Miss Jessie’s Claims: Wanna boost? This potent emulsion packs the punch you need for pogo stick oingy boingy curls. Great for Fingerstyling, 2 Strand Twists, Spiral Rod Sets, Relaxed Hair seeking curly styling and Transitioners, Silkeners and Texturizers.
Ingredients*: Water, Parafinium Liquidum, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Fragrance, Carbomer, Wheat Amino Acids, Aloe barbadensis leaf extract, Avocado Oil, Coconut oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil, Olive Fruit Oil, Oleth-5, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnanate, Disodium EDTA, DMDM hydantion, Iodopropynyl, Butylcarbanate, Yellow 5
* Apparently there is another version of this product around with different ingredients. I have not tried it so I can’t speak to that version. This review is for the version with the ingredients listed above.
Price point: $10 CDN/2 oz
My 6¢: Congratulations to the Miss Jessie’s ladies for making a product that smells great. It truly is divine. Smells like lemon meringue!
My first draft of this review had nothing to glorify about this product. Some of those shortcomings still apply but I decided to give this product one last chance and I struck silver (not quite gold). The only way this product works for me is for my straw sets (maybe it will work with roller sets too but I can’t say for sure because I didn’t try it that way). When used with the Strawllers rollers I’m able to achieve a tight curl that can last for a week depending on how well I protect my hair. This is a win for me because I’ve been trying to find a way to preserve those beautiful spirals for longer than 2 days. I spend too much time to achieve the look to have it frizzle in 2 days. Well my friends I found it in this product. A little on each section of hair before I roll and it really does create “pogo stick oingy boingy curls” that last.
Now for the shortcomings….
- This product is super expensive! 2 oz cost me $10 CDN!!!! Not something I’m willing to fork over on a regular basis. As far as I can see from the ingredient list there are no rare, specially formulated potions from the Amazon in the product. In fact if I’m reading the ingredient list correctly, the product is primarily water and mineral oil. So pray tell why is it so expensive?? There have to be other products out there that can do the same for a fraction of the cost.
- I had to be on top of my moisturizing game. As cute a curl this product left me with, it also caused dryness if I was not on top of my moisturizing regime.
- In my case the product wasn’t very versatile. I originally purchased it to do braid outs, in the hopes that it would soften, moisturize and infuse shine. Unfortunately it was quite the opposite. I was left with a dry crunchy mass that nothing could salvage except some shampoo and conditioner. Yes! It was so bad that no amount of moisturizer I had on hand could save me from having to re-wash my hair. As mentioned above, the only way it worked for me was with straw curls. I’d rather have a product that could work for various applications especially at that price.
- I don’t mind the scent – it truly is divine, but those sensitive to strong scents may not appreciate it as much as I do. The smell can be a little overwhelming but will fade soon after application.
- If you have a strong aversion to mineral oil then you probably wouldn’t like this product. Mineral oil is the second ingredient on the list. I don’t avoid mineral oil, but I do think it was the reason that this product was so drying.
If you’ve tried this product I would love to know your experience and how you used it. Drop me a note in the comments.