For the past 2 weeks I have been experiencing a very sore scalp. At first I thought the the culprit was an intense shampoo massage but turns out the real culprit seems to be dandruff. Dandruff is characterized by white flaking of the scalp and itchiness and while not harmful can be a nuisance.
Signs & Symptoms
- white flaking of the scalp
- itchy scalp
- sore scalp
Dandruff is caused by a fungus called Pityrosporum ovale. In small quantities it is harmless but in large quantities it triggers an over-proliferation of skin cells on the scalp causing more dead skin to noticeably shed. The actual trigger of dandruff varies widely:
- skin conditions – eczema, seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis
- allergies – some can experience severe reactions to some ingredients in their hair products
- inadequate vitamins – zinc, vitamin B
- stress – stress can compound the problem but it not the real cause
As mentioned before dandruff is not harmful, but if left untreated can not only be uncomfortable and unsightly but it can lead to acne outbreaks on the face and back. Shampooing the hair without a medicated shampoo does nothing to treat the cause; it simply removes the unsightly flakes.
Proper treatment involves the use of some sort of anti-fungal shampoo with active ingredients designed to control the fungus. some active ingredients include: salicylic acid, zinc pyrithione and coal tar.
For those with a more holistic inclination, the following have claims of effectively treating dandruff when applied topically to the scalp: lime, fenugreek seeds, beet and tea tree oil.
If home remedies or over the counter shampoos do not work after about 2 weeks of regular use, a more serious issue may be underlying and professional medical attention should be sought.
Kenra Dandruff Shampoo
- Treats seborrhea and other skin and scalp conditions
- Soothes dry, itchy and irritated scalp
- Gentle formulation is safe for daily use
- Zinc Pyrithione A bactericide proven to control overactive cell reproduction.
- Sodium Myreth Sulfate A highly concentrated primary cleansing ingredient noted for mildness that produces rich, dense lather when formulated with secondary cleansing ingredients.
- Natural Jasmine Oil An aromatic oil that helps to alleviate itchy, dry skin and provides an uplifting and therapeutic aroma.
- Guaiazulene A chamomile oil derived anti-inflammatory.
Here’s a healthy solution to the itching and flaking associated with dandruff. This shampoo, with Pro-vitamins and essential oils, helps prevent flaking and relieves itching with regular use. By controlling dandruff, your hair can look its shiny best.
- Leaves hair hydrated, and helps improve scalp health with continued use
- Contains a pH-balanced formula that helps keep hair soft, manageable and shiny
- Is great for chemically relaxed, pressed or natural styles
Created to target flaking scalps and give you a healthy, soothed scalp, this calming shampoo is great for frequent use.
Head Remedy Dandruff Shampoo has IOPS, inside out perfecting system, which penetrates deep into your hair, making it more vibrant and healthier.
- controls various scalp disorders
- color and perm safe, fragrance free
- moisturizes and protects hair
- clinically tested and proven effective