Avocado oil is the oil extracted or pressed from the fruit of the avocado (Persea americana). We’re seeing more and more natural hair products containing this fabulous oil, but what does this light, emerald green to yellow/gold oil have to offer the hair and scalp?
Avocado oil is very high in monounsaturated fatty acid (even more so than extra virgin olive oil). The fats in the oil are very moisturizing and nourishing when applied directly to the hair strand. Avocado oil is also rich in nutrients and antioxidants such as Vitamin E which protect the hair from the damage caused from harmful UVA and UVB rays. The high lecithin content increase its penetrative qualities.
Regular use of avocado oil can help relieve dry, damaged hair; falling and thinning hair and dandruff. All these properties make avocado oil a great addition to any hair routine to restore moisture and promote health and shine to dry hair.
How to Use?
- Apply avocado oil directly to the hair to moisturize and soften the hair
- Use as a hot oil treatment for deep penetration into the hair shaft
- Add a few drops to shampoo to improve moisturizing properties
- Massage into the hair and scalp to stimulate blood flow to the hair follicles and promote hair growth
- Apply to the scalp to alleviate itchy, dry scalp
- Apply to edges to smooth hair and tame fly aways